Sunday, March 22, 2009

Brother and Sister


I have felt so blessed to have been given two beautiful children. They are such great kids. To have a boy and a girl was just what I wanted, but in the last year I have begun to see that this might not be as ideal as I thought.

When Shelby was born Walker adored her and she him. Walker loved to play with her and help her. As she grew he let her tag along where ever he went and still does. Shelby was so sensitive to her big brothers needs, that even as a infant she would cry if he was crying. She wanted him to be happy always, and continues to want that.

Well in this last year Walker has really become indifferent to his sister. He says he wishes he had a brother, and that she bugs him. But it's more than that. He is just mean to her sometimes. Purposely ignoring her, negatively commenting on anything she says,(which is belittling) teasing her to tears. Part of me thinks this is normal, he's getting older and there is a three year gap in age, and another part of me wants to punish him for hurting this little princess who worships him.

One night a few weeks ago I peeked into Shelby's room and Walker was reading her a story book. Walker has become a very good reader, and I was moved by this momentary break in his dislike of his sister. It was very sweet to see.

I decided to ask him to read to her every night. When I asked he really didn't want to, but he does it and I know he really does enjoy it and of course so does she. I want them to be good sibllings and learn to love and serve each other. I know I can't make them, but I hope they will stay loving to each other.

2 comments:

HKins said...

Oh I'm positive that Walker and Shelby are just going through an "I don't like you" stage. I'm sure they will get over this one and have others. I'm sure that when they are adults they will be very close. I recall not liking my little brother cause I thought my mom favored him. In retrospect she really didn't but that was my prospective at the time. Now of course I love both of my siblings very much. Wouldn't trade them for nothing.

Bobbie said...

Your idea to have him read to her is excellent. I hope he is willing to keep going with that. The picture you posted is so cute. Maybe you could make a list of all the books he reads and add to it as the days go by. It would reinforce the program. Perhaps something to hang on the wall so they can see the list grow.

It could go around the room, high enough that it would not be vandalized ;-) or high on a wall that is in a common area, for all to see. Like down the hall and back.